Navigation Control Center


You are now entering the world of my thoughts.

This blog is my diary of works in progress. The only way a writer can improve upon her skill is to practice, practice and practice some more. Here, in this place of quiet peace, I pen to paper my thoughts and creativity. Welcome to my world.

Copyright © 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 SN Taylor, All Rights Reserved

Monday, September 5, 2011

Writer Platform Building Campaign: First Campaign Challenge!

Rachael has posted the first campaign challenge:



Write a short story/flash fiction story in 200 words or less, excluding the title. It can be in any format, including a poem. Begin the story with the words, “The door swung open” These four words willbe included in the word count.


If you want to give yourself an added challenge (optional), use the same beginning words and end with the words: "the door swung shut." (also included in the word count)
For those who want an even greater challenge, make your story 200 words EXACTLY!
So here is mine :D :D Vote for #128
The Creek
       The door swung open. Nani ran out clutching a red fleece blanket around her shoulders. It had been a good ½ a minute since a loud piercing scream shattered her peace and quiet, but it felt like an eternity. The silence that followed was just as deafening. 

     
     Nani rushed down a trodden and snow covered path from her backyard through the tree-lined woods to the frozen creek behind her property. She stopped in her tracks. She looked around. She was sure the scream came from this portion of her woods. 
     
     Nani has had to pull many hikers and kids out of the creek who got too close to its currents or slipped on the slippery algae covered stones and fallen tree bridges trying to cross it. 
     
     No one was there.  There was not a single footprint in the newly fallen snow. As she turned to leave, something caught her eye. A glint reflected off the solid cold creek. Underneath a broken tree bridge sticking out of the creek, Nani saw something familiarly red. 
     
     Nani let out a loud piercing scream as a pair of bulging eyes stared back at her, clutching a red fleece around its frozen shoulders.

35 comments:

Joanna said...

clever!

Simon Kewin said...

Ooh, very nice. Chilling! I like stories that loop back like that.

Juliana L. Brandt said...

Man, that made me sad. Nicely done.

Heather said...

Oh wow, this was thrilling! And the last bit blew me away and made me shiver. Loved it!

elizabethanne said...

Oh my...

Very good! (and now I need more!)

Karlene Petitt said...

I love it. Question... when do we have to post our story? This is going to be fun!

Coleen Patrick said...

Hi! That red fleece was so vivid in my mind! Great post!

Karen Strong said...

Wow, that was a twist. Loved it! :)

Ms Saba (aka Teacher007.5) said...

Thanks guys! you are awesome!

@Karlene I'm not sure. I need to go back and check the schedule of the different challenges that are planned out for us. I'm sure you have time to put yours up. Let me know so I can find and vote for your story!!! :D

BTW for those who would like to vote for my story, I am #128 the linky would not let me attach my photo :(

ruth.the.writer said...

Great story!

yikici said...

Chilling -yet cleverly written :) -I'm a fellow (same group) campaigner popping by to say hi.

Anonymous said...

what the what? :) The red blanket is key and I love how you worked it. Also, I was like "don't go toward the scream, are you nuts?!?" Sarah xx

Nadja Notariani said...

I like your reveal! ~ Nadja

Alleged Author said...

Was it the bad wolf or some other beastie? Good job!

Author A.O. Peart said...

Very engaging and thrilling piece. Love the twist at the end!

I'm also in the Campaign - #76 :-)

The Writer said...

ooohh....freaky! I love it!

Unknown said...

Nani has had to pull many hikers and kids out of the creek who got too close to its currents or slipped on the slippery algae covered stones and fallen tree bridges trying to cross it.

Love this sentence :). And hi again from a fellow-campaigner!

Thanks for joining the The Rule of Three Blogfest!

Please help spread the word on twitter via the hashtag #REN3 :)

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Yikes! I don't think I'd ant to be in Nani's shoes right now! Great job!

Jocelyn Rish said...

That was definitely chilling! And the red fleece was such a vivid way to tie it all together.

Alica McKenna Johnson said...

*shivers* very nice

Ms Saba (aka Teacher007.5) said...

Thanks guys! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Still making my rounds to find many of your 200 word challege posts and voting for them :)

@BornStoryteller: Thank you so much. Will hop on over to your blog :)

1000th.monkey said...

Wow, craaaaazy! That last line is a killer :)

Claire Hennessy said...

Oooh that's a bit scary. Nicely done :)

Ms Saba (aka Teacher007.5) said...

Thanks Claire! :)


LOL @ 1000th monkey, Thanks!

Sandwiched Writer said...

Oh, that last line really surprised me! Completely unexpected twist! Good job!

Avery Marsh said...

You set the scene so perfectly, I had chills. And the ending surprised me, too. Nicely done.

Jessica Love said...

Oooh, awesome! Great job!

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I'm another Campaigner still working my way through all my group blogs. I joined too many groups!

I love your challenge piece, very chilling!

Anonymous said...

Great Flash Fiction!

Karen deBlieck said...

I liked the ending...it left me wondering who, exactly, she saw. :) Thanks for stopping by my blog to take a look at my piece.

Anonymous said...

That was very creepy with the red fleece thing so thanks for sharing your flash! Is the dead person she found at the end herself, or is the wardrobe choice a coincidence?

It's great to meet you. I'm in your MG/YA Campaigner group, so looking forward to meeting again down the campaign trail.

Golden Eagle said...

Wow. That's a great ending! I have to wonder if it's actually her, by some paradox, or just a look-alike.

Thanks for coming by my entry. :)

Doreen said...

Oh how chilling; I'm freezing thinking about the cold. The last line was brilliant:)

Dawn M. Hamsher said...

Oh, the red fleece...very creepy! It does make one think that she is looking at herself.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Oh, ack, wonderfully done!


Member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators