Navigation Control Center


You are now entering the world of my thoughts.

This blog is my diary of works in progress. The only way a writer can improve upon her skill is to practice, practice and practice some more. Here, in this place of quiet peace, I pen to paper my thoughts and creativity. Welcome to my world.

Copyright © 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 SN Taylor, All Rights Reserved

Friday, September 30, 2011

Author Interview + Book Giveaway: Nadine Johnson: I Am and I Love

Hi Nadine! Thank you so much for joining us today and sharing your journey to publication with us.

Nadine Johnson

First off, can you give us a little background info about yourself?
I am originally from the island of Jamaica but I grew up in Pennsylvania. I attended Shippensburg University in Shippensburg, Pennsylvania and received my bachelor’s degree in Business and later, a Graphic Design certificate from the Maryland College of Art and Design. I’ve been working primarily as a freelance graphic designer and writer for the past 7 years. I also have a fabulous son, who keeps me on my toes.


Please share with us some details about your two books, “I Am,” and “I Love”.
My most recent books include I Am, and it’s counterpart, I Love. Both books were written with fun, lyrical rhymes, and vibrant images. The books encourage children to appreciate who they are and all the things around them. I Am encourages children to explore the positive qualities that they possess. I Love invites children to explore their surroundings and think about all the things and people they love.

What inspired you to write these stories?
I was inspired by some of the children that I met while tutoring and presenting workshops in several schools. I believe we need to do a better job of building children’s self-esteem and self-awareness to help them appreciate who they are and the world around them. It sounds like a cliché but it’s needed.


What is your writing process like?
When I get a good idea (I have many not-so-good ideas), I can write a book fairly quickly. I write constantly until my ideas are all on paper. Then comes the dreaded editing process, which takes a long time. I pick every word and sentence apart to make sure it’s perfect (and it’s never really perfect). I then work on the artwork for the book. Each book can take a year or two to complete.

Can you share with us your publishing journey with “I Am,” and “I Love”?
I published “I Am” and “I Love” through my company, 123 Mango Tree LLC. I like publishing my own books because it gives me control over the content and look.

What was your biggest, “ah ha!” moment during your publishing journey?
At first I was trying really hard to find a publisher who would publish my work but one day it hit me – I could spent years and years trying to get an agent or publishing company to deem my work worthy of being published, or I can just do it myself. With that thought I stopped looking and started creating books.


What do you do when you are not writing?
When I’m not writing I am a mother, which means that I’m doing everything else under the sun!

Who are your favorite writers, past and present?
I don’t really have a favorite writer. There are certain books that I’ve read that I have never forgotten. I enjoyed reading “The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi” by Author Miller, “The Autobiography of My Mother” by Jamaica Kincaid, and “Remember Me” by Sophie Kinsella. I also love reading “Joy” by Joyce Carol Thomas to my son.

What legacy would you like to leave behind?
I want my books to motivate and empower children. But most of all, I want to get children reading at an early age. I would love to encourage parents to start reading to their children as soon as they enter the world, and to make reading with their children a part of their daily routine.

If you could share one piece of advice that you wish you had been given at the beginning of your publishing journey, what would it be?
Make sure you really ENJOY writing. The process is long, hard and filled with many roadblocks. It also takes a lot of effort to find the resources, including time and money, to create and promote your books.

Where can readers find out more about your books?
They can visit my Web site at 123MangoTree.com.

Quick…..three random things about yourself……..
I love playing tennis.
I still watch The Young and Restless (maybe I should keep this a secret)
A warm brownie a-la-mode is the key to heart…or ahh…stomach.

Another fun question:  If you could have one superpower, what would it be? J
Maybe the power to create the perfect husband (I’m just gushing at the thought) or the power to make my child listen to me most of the time. But really, I would love the power protect all children from pain and suffering.

I like THAT superpower, Nadine! Well, thanks again Nadine for joining us today. Everyone, Please check out her website: 123MangoTree.com



And now…………..It’s time for our

Book Giveaway!!!!!

One lucky winner will receive Nadine’s books: I Love and I Am. Please fill out the form below.

4 comments:

Stacy S. Jensen said...

Thanks for sharing your writing process. Did you try a traditional publishing route or did you always know you wanted to do it yourself?

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

What a great publishing journey! How wonderful that you are talented enough to do both the art and the writing yourself. I'd be a lot more tempted to self-publish if I could draw! Your books sound inspiring, as does your message. I hope you get your super power :)

Andrea Mack said...

This is a interesting interview. Thanks for sharing it. It is great to hear of an author who has so much confidence in her own writing and abilities.

Darlene said...

Thanks for the giveaway!


Member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators