Navigation Control Center


You are now entering the world of my thoughts.

This blog is my diary of works in progress. The only way a writer can improve upon her skill is to practice, practice and practice some more. Here, in this place of quiet peace, I pen to paper my thoughts and creativity. Welcome to my world.

Copyright © 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 SN Taylor, All Rights Reserved

Friday, July 29, 2011

The Gratitude Challenge - Day #11 Break-in, Heritage Day and more...


MY! What a day!!! I have to praise Allah (God) that is was not as bad as it could have been though I often had to catch myself from thinking...."Can my day get any WORSE?" because inevitably, if you ask that question, Allah answers with the affirmative! So I reframed and kept praising Him for it not being the WORST day.

So, it started off with me getting out a tad bit late, but that is no biggie since I normally get off later than my normal shift due to parents picking up their children a little late. So to keep from getting chewed up about overtime, I don't fret coming in a few minutes late, there is always coverage in the mornings. So I am a few minutes late and I get to my car to find that the back window has been broken into. Now, this is the second time my family's car has been vandalized in our current house and neighborhood. The first time, our camera was stolen. The camera had the last few pictures of my mom before she passed away. :( I chucked it up to it being the doings of some unruly, untrained and unsupervised kid/teens/young adults. This time though, there was nothing important or valuable in the car. In fact, the only thing of any use was a case of water (that the vandalizers stole!) So naturally, I took it personal. Some one was not being very nice or neighborly on our street! :( To keep from taking my frustrations into work and burdening my toddler classroom, I just made dua' (supplication) that whoever did it, did it because they were truly needy and did not intend malice. (That was the only way I could let go of my own anger and feelings that maybe one of our neighbors had done it.) Surprisingly, I got through the day pretty well. The children were their active, energetic selves, exploring, learning, loving, and having a blast!

Today was Heritage Day at the childcare center where I work. Lots of teachers and families brought food, clothing, cultural artifacts to school to share. In my class, we had an Ethiopian scarf, a Chinese shirt, Chinese decorative wall hangings, Hallah bread and a children's book explaining the Shabbat. :) I brought hot water corn bread to share as well as wearing my normal Muslim clothing. My co-teacher wore a tee-shirt with a German logo and flag on it. It was really nice. Some of the teachers shared cultural food, artifacts, music and dancing! It is so nice and such a blessing to work with so much diversity!

As my work day came to an end, I found out later that we are not the only ones who have had a break in. One of our neighbors came down as my sister was cleaning the glass up and waiting to get our window fixed that his car had been broken into FOUR times since he has been here. In fact, he once witnessed another car being broken into and chased the vandalizers down the streets and lost them in an area of trees were a bunch of homeless people live. That got me to thinking. The fact that our water was stolen meant it may not have been a vicious and malicious attack on our property. So, that is one more thing to be grateful for!

No comments:


Member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators