Navigation Control Center


You are now entering the world of my thoughts.

This blog is my diary of works in progress. The only way a writer can improve upon her skill is to practice, practice and practice some more. Here, in this place of quiet peace, I pen to paper my thoughts and creativity. Welcome to my world.

Copyright © 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 SN Taylor, All Rights Reserved

Sunday, November 2, 2014

How Do You Start Your Story?

At the beginning, end, middle, with the title, the pitch, the hook?

There is the whole divide of planning and plotting your story or simply writing from the seat of your pants. One thing I have noticed with my own writing, I don't plot or plan my story out. I try to but it turns out into a synopsis then goes into storytelling. Sometimes it starts at the beginning, the middle or with a simple title.

This year's story, Picture Perfect, (working title only) started in a crazed smathering of me trying to figure out my story. I had an idea but the idea was not really fully coherent but it was moving around quickly in my head so I just wrote it all down until about 3000+ words later, the story began to form more fluidly. Page five on my word doc begins chapter one. But this is NaNoWriMo. The first draft is expected to be trashy until we go back through it and wash, rinse and repeat a gazillion times.

So, how do you start your story? 

No comments:


Member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators