Navigation Control Center


You are now entering the world of my thoughts.

This blog is my diary of works in progress. The only way a writer can improve upon her skill is to practice, practice and practice some more. Here, in this place of quiet peace, I pen to paper my thoughts and creativity. Welcome to my world.

Copyright © 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 SN Taylor, All Rights Reserved

Saturday, November 1, 2014

Are you ready for #NaNoWriMo 2014?



Tips for a Happy NaNoWriMo

Whether joining for the first time or making this year your annual trip down writer's lane, here are some of my tested and proven tips to get you through this hectic month of word collecting.

1) Clear your schedules. If you are like me, writing 1,667 words a day is slow but steady work. Other than work, my time will be spent either on my laptop or writing in a notebook, I wont have time to socialize, read books, cook, clean, blog, facebook or twitter (unless it is #NaNoWriMo related).

2) Create a comfortable work space. Yes, I used 'work' because NaNoWriMo will work you like a job! I like soft music, large table, cup of tea and preferably a window to write.

3) IF you just HAVE to get on the internet, visit NaNoWriMo.org. Create an account and join your fellow NaNo-ers for tips, support, motivation, encouragement and accountability throughout the month.

4) Write. Write. Write. Do not worry about perfection. Forget you have a delete button. This challenge is about getting your story down on paper, not craft. You can edit it later.

5) Got writer's block. Get up and stretch. Change writing space for a bit. Take a walk. Exercise. Visit Nanowrimo.org and get inspired by your fellow NaNo-ers.

6) Participate in Write-ins. Writing can be a lonely profession but it does not always have to be so solitary. Whether online or in person, join group writing activities. Write-ins are really fun. Check out this link to find one near you.

7) Snacks. Gotta have them! My faves are tea (you should see my tea stash :D ) fruit, nuts, and dark chocolate (almonds, peanuts, cashews or macadamias).

8) But the most important of all.......HAVE FUN!!!!!!! 50,000 words or not, just getting however many words you muster up on paper (or screen) alone is an achievement in itself!

You got this!

Happy Writing!!


No comments:


Member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators