Navigation Control Center


You are now entering the world of my thoughts.

This blog is my diary of works in progress. The only way a writer can improve upon her skill is to practice, practice and practice some more. Here, in this place of quiet peace, I pen to paper my thoughts and creativity. Welcome to my world.

Copyright © 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 SN Taylor, All Rights Reserved

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A-Z Challenge: D is for The Day of Ahmed's Secret


Title: The Day of Ahmed’s Secret

Author: Florence H. Parry & Judith Heide Gilliland

Illustrator: Ted Lewin

Publisher: Harper Collins Publishers, April 25th, 1995 

Ages: 6 and up

Theme/Topic: Egyptian culture and lifestyle, 

Opening: Today I have a secret, and all day long my secret will be like a friend to me.  Tonight I will tell it to my family, but now I have work to do in my city

Summary: Ahmed drives his donkey cart through the streets of Cairo, delivering butane gas cylinders to his father's customers. He knows everyone and has a part to play in the life of the city. He is proud to be strong enough to help his family, but most of all he is proud of his precious secret, a secret that he keeps until the end of the day. The book reveals a lot about Ahmed's life, and finally his secret - that he can write his name.

Resources:
I found a couple of sites that have some good lesson ideas and plans that can be used to expand on the book. Homeschool Share has a lesson plan that includes social studies, language arts, science, math and art.  Here is another lesson plan that is for early elementary kids. Basic facts about Egypt. More facts about Cairo, Egypt. Photos of Egypt. 

Why I like this book:
This is a really moving tale about a boy named Ahmed who has learned how to write his name. Ahmed is a young boy who has to work to help his family out. In most third world countries poor families have to let their children work to support the family. Education is only for people with money.  But education is coveted, even by the poor. They do realize that their children would profit if they learned how to read and write but circumstances does not allow them to send their children to school. I saw this time after time when I worked overseas. I loved the illustrations. They transport you to Cairo, Egypt.  They are rich and vibrant as they paint the culture and day to day lifestyle of the Egyptian people in one of Egypt’s most popular cities.  The book is written in the voice of Ahmed so you see the city through his eyes as he goes about his daily work routine and schedule.

8 comments:

Julie Hedlund said...

Another fantastic book review and selection!

Ms Saba (aka Teacher007.5) said...

Thanks Julie!

Beth Stilborn said...

You are sharing such fantastic books during the A to Z challenge! Thank you, Saba!

Unknown said...

I like the way you do your review, methodical and clear.

--Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2012

Twitter: @AprilA2Z
#atozchallenge

Stacy S. Jensen said...

I'm following (and reading), but am trying to catch up with all the comments ... I've said it before, I always enjoy your selections.

Ms Saba (aka Teacher007.5) said...

Thank you Damyanti!!! :) I actually got the method from Susanna. Check out the Perfect Picture Book Friday badge at the top to go to her page.

Ms Saba (aka Teacher007.5) said...

Thank you Stacy. I am glad you are enjoying them :) I can't wait to share the rest I have planned for this month :D

Ms Saba (aka Teacher007.5) said...

I'm so happy you are enjoying the books. I have some really nice ones in store for the rest of the month :D


Member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators