Navigation Control Center


You are now entering the world of my thoughts.

This blog is my diary of works in progress. The only way a writer can improve upon her skill is to practice, practice and practice some more. Here, in this place of quiet peace, I pen to paper my thoughts and creativity. Welcome to my world.

Copyright © 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 SN Taylor, All Rights Reserved

Friday, March 16, 2012

Perfect Picture Book Friday: Miss Nelson is Missing! by Harry Allard


Title: Miss Nelson is Missing!

Author: Harry Allard

Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Company, September 9, 1977

Suitable for: 4 and up

Themes/Topics: Respect, School Behavior, Humor

Opening:
The kids in Room 207 were misbehaving again. Spitballs stuck to the ceiling. Paper planes whizzed through the air. They were the worst-behaved class in the whole school.
 Brief synopsis:

Miss Nelson is the nicest teacher in the school. But her naughty, misbehaving students of Room 207 don’t care. They are rude, don’t listen, make faces and just plan goof off in the classroom. That is, until the day Miss Nelson does not come to class one day. A substitute comes in and immediately things change. She is mean and does not let the kids be themselves.

Links to resources:

There are quite a few resources to go with this book I think parents and teacher will find very useful. Activities and Craft ideas can be found here, here and here.
  
Why I like this book:

This book is a classic in my heart!! I was at the library and passed by it and nearly died! Oh the memories!!! :D This was one of my favorites to read growing up. I thought Miss Nelson was very clever in getting her kids to behave properly in class! I love that the point of the story, the message or the moral is clear but not overbearing. Children will love this story and understand the importance of good behavior in class and respect for their teachers. :D

6 comments:

Emily R. King said...

I still love this book! My kids do, too.

Cortney Pearson said...

I LOVE this book!! My 4 y/o just picked it off the shelf the other night and he loved it too!! :D

Coleen Patrick said...

Yes, a total classic! Love it :)

Karlene Petitt said...

I love this book too!

Stacy S. Jensen said...

I haven't heard of this. Thanks for introducting me to a classic. We'll check it out.

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Excellent choice, Saba! I love this book! My kids love this book! It is such fun. What a creative way to get your point across :) Thanks so much for adding this treasure to our list!


Member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators