Navigation Control Center


You are now entering the world of my thoughts.

This blog is my diary of works in progress. The only way a writer can improve upon her skill is to practice, practice and practice some more. Here, in this place of quiet peace, I pen to paper my thoughts and creativity. Welcome to my world.

Copyright © 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 SN Taylor, All Rights Reserved

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Writing Prompt: Dark Prison

Write a 200 word description of a place. You can use any and all sensory descriptions but sight: you can describe what it feels like, sounds like, smells like and even tastes like. Try to write the description in such a way that people will not miss the visual details.


Here is what I got: 

My head hurts. I can't see. I realize my eyes are closed. I open them; but I'm still shrouded in darkness. Fear sweeps across me. I try to sit up but fall back, my head dizzy and throbbing. I take a deep breath then cough. The air's thick, moist, and warm. It smells of grass and earth. I turn over. My face rests on a soft, fuzzy surface. The scent's even stronger. I can almost taste it. I grope with my hands. Just as I thought, damp, compacted dirt and patches of moss? God, I hope it's moss - not mold! I push up onto my hands and knees and groan. My voice comes back to my ears quick and solid. I feel around and soon find a wall. It's soft and spongy like a cork. I walk the circumference of the room, twenty paces. No door. My heart pounds in my chest. I close my eyes pressing my back against the wall, breathing, calming a panic attack. My ears pick up a sound. The wind howls just outside. A faint breeze touches my cheeks - brief relief from the dank air. Where there's a breeze, there's a way out!

4 comments:

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

This is great, Saba! Just reading it makes me realize how hard it is to write without using sight. I don't know about other writers, but I'm pretty sure I rely way too heavily on it and this is a great exercise for making you use the other senses. Thanks!

Hannah Holt said...

I certainly got a feel for the place. Well described!

Ms Saba (aka Teacher007.5) said...

It was VERY hard Susanna! But the challenge was definitely fun to do. I think my biggest problem was keeping at two hundred words!

Ms Saba (aka Teacher007.5) said...

Thank you Hannah!


Member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators