Navigation Control Center


You are now entering the world of my thoughts.

This blog is my diary of works in progress. The only way a writer can improve upon her skill is to practice, practice and practice some more. Here, in this place of quiet peace, I pen to paper my thoughts and creativity. Welcome to my world.

Copyright © 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 SN Taylor, All Rights Reserved

Friday, January 27, 2012

Perfect Picture Book Friday: One of Us by Peggy Moss


Title: One of Us

Author: Peggy Moss

Publisher: Tilbury House

Theme/Topic:  Identity, Being Yourself, Cliques

Grade: 2-6



Summary

"You are one of us," Carmen tells Roberta on her first day at a new school. 

Roberta gladly sits with the rest of the straight-up-hair girls-until she hears they don't play on the monkey bars. Roberta loves the monkey bars and leaps at the chance to swing with the monkey-bar posse, until she hears they don't carry flowered lunch boxes like she does. Roberta moves from group to group, just trying to be herself, until it seems she doesn't fit in anywhere. Then Roberta discovers some kids just like her-everyone's different and they like it that way! 

In a society plagued by the need to fit in at all costs, One of Us features a plucky youngster with the courage to be who she is and the charisma to help others assert their individuality.   

Resources:
These activities can be found at the publisher website:
Activity: What Cliques Do You Know?
Activity: Who Are You/What Are You?
Activity: Ideal Community

Why I Like This Book:
I really liked this book because I was once just like Roberta, new kid at a new school. Fitting in was very important to me because I was different. I was the only Muslim kid in my small town school. This book is full of humor but effectively touches on the subject of peer pressure and just what can be lost when we try to fit in and shut others out. This book is PERFECT for use at home and in the classroom. Children can easily identify with Roberta. I also love that the illustrations captures a diverse range of children, children of different ethnicities, and physical abilities. 

6 comments:

Patricia T. said...

Saba, this is a wonderful selection about peer pressure and the need to fit in. I like that Roberta doesn't give up until she finds a group of friends she feels she connect with. Thanks for sharing your personal experiences. I think at some level we can all relate -- I know I can. Great review.

Stacy S. Jensen said...

Another great selection. I appreciate your personal experience. I grew up in a small town. I was never the new kid, but made a point to connect with most of them. It does sound perfect for home or school.

Ms Saba (aka Teacher007.5) said...

Thank you for your thoughtful comment Patricia! It is a really cute book. And I personally feel that even as adults, we still try to find ways to fit in our environment be it at home, school or work. I guess it is a part of life. But I love that the message of loving who and what you are is easy for children to understand and that no matter how different you are, that we are really all the same, unique in our own ways. Such a wonderful book!

Ms Saba (aka Teacher007.5) said...

aww, thank you Stacy!

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Saba, this book looks terrific! I am always glad to find books about being yourself - they are so important. Thanks for adding this one to our list!

Craig Wiesner said...

This is a great book for showing that the most important way to fit in is to be yourself, a really important message kids AND adults need to hear. Great book!


Member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators