Navigation Control Center


You are now entering the world of my thoughts.

This blog is my diary of works in progress. The only way a writer can improve upon her skill is to practice, practice and practice some more. Here, in this place of quiet peace, I pen to paper my thoughts and creativity. Welcome to my world.

Copyright © 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 SN Taylor, All Rights Reserved

Friday, January 13, 2012

Perfect Picture Book Friday: My First Ramadan by Karen Katz



Title: My First Ramadan
Author: Karen Katz
Suitable for ages: 3-8 years
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co. August 7th 2007
Theme/Topic: Culture, Muslim Holiday, Ramadan, Muslim Festival, Family

Opening:
         
Look! There is the new moon in the sky. Now we        will begin our holiday called Ramadan……

Synopsis: It is time for Ramadan. Follow along with one young boy as he observes the Muslim holiday with his family. This year, he wants to try to fast like the grown-ups do, and even the youngest readers will be interested as he shares his experiences of this special holiday.

Resources:
More books about Ramadan for children: http://islam.about.com/od/ramadan/tp/ramadanbooks-kids.htm
More Ramadan Resources:
http://www.firstschoolyears.com/re/islam/ramadan.htm

Why I like this book:
My First Ramadan is meant to introduce young children to the month of Ramadan, the fasting month for Muslims worldwide and many practices and traditions that happen through out the month. Karen Katz does a wonderful job illustrating and creating a super cute Muslim boy to share his excitement of the month and coming holiday, Eid-ul-Fitr. With all of her books, I just love her illustrations! Little bodies and big round heads. They remind me of a few of my little ones I care for in my toddler classroom! J The text is simple and straightforward. She includes a pronunciation guide for Arabic words through out the book. Like every holiday, Ramadan celebrates traditions, family, friends and the community. It encourages good deeds and virtues, prayer and charity. 

7 comments:

Coleen Patrick said...

I love the colorful illustrations! It sounds like a great holiday book.

Stacy S. Jensen said...

These look like fun illustrations and a great story.

Julie Hedlund said...

Wow - I'm surprised I haven't heard of this book. Karen Katz is the perfect author/artist for it too. Thanks for sharing!

Joanna said...

A new one for me too. Great choice. i also love those huge heads. Am impressed with the super list of resources you have given,

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

What a wonderful choice! We have so many books about other holidays, but Ramadan is something I know very little about and haven't seen a lot of picture books on. And look at all those wonderful resources! I know Karen Katz's baby books, but hadn't seen this one. Thanks, Saba! This will be a terrific addition to our list!

Penny Parker Klostermann said...

How wonderful that Arabic pronunciations are included. I will have to tell my teacher friends about this book so they can add it to their list of holiday books.

Walihah said...

I've been looking for a book like that! My kids did some coloring pages at http://www.thecolor.com/Category/Coloring/Ramadan.aspx
to help introduce them to Ramadan.


Member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators