Navigation Control Center


You are now entering the world of my thoughts.

This blog is my diary of works in progress. The only way a writer can improve upon her skill is to practice, practice and practice some more. Here, in this place of quiet peace, I pen to paper my thoughts and creativity. Welcome to my world.

Copyright © 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 SN Taylor, All Rights Reserved

Friday, February 15, 2013

Book Review: Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)Across the Universe by Beth Revis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really liked Across the Universe, actually, more than I thought it would. I was sucked in my the gripping plot, the shocking twists and knee-buckling truths that made the lives and stories of Godspeed and her crew so riveting (and scary). I'm not big on romances but there were so many elements to this story that I was wholly occupied with trying to figure out the mysteries instead of gripping about why YA authors HAVE to add the 'love interest' angle into every story.

Admittedly, I did not like Amy. She got on my nerves not listening to people then getting mad when she got into trouble. But then, I began to see her as a bold, daring and courageous (and even a bit naive) young woman. She is a fast learner. More than Amy, I really liked Elder. To be so young (and naive) he was truly a leader in training. Unique. Raised to be a tough leader, ready to make the hard choices, he turns out to be more human than the whole lot.

The author showed (not told) just what living life trapped on a ship for centuries, cut off from your roots, heritage, civilization, history, and nature itself, can do to a group of people. Horrible things. Devastating things. But, good things can happen too. Like, Elder.

View all my reviews

No comments:


Member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators