Navigation Control Center


You are now entering the world of my thoughts.

This blog is my diary of works in progress. The only way a writer can improve upon her skill is to practice, practice and practice some more. Here, in this place of quiet peace, I pen to paper my thoughts and creativity. Welcome to my world.

Copyright © 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 SN Taylor, All Rights Reserved

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Book Review: The Always War by Margaret Peterson Haddix

The Always WarThe Always War by Margaret Peterson Haddix
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The Always War was a really easy read. I have not read the work of this author before so my experience with the story will be different from fans of her other work. I thought the story resembled a Star Trek episode where the "war" was a computerized fake war and people were selected to die in fake war attacks. This was similar. The characters were defined and developed although I really did not like Gideon. He truly was cowardly in nature but when he had to step up to a challenge he did. I liked Tessa, I think her character was by far the most developed. Her character is the only one that actually grows throughout the story. She goes from being a girl who does not feel like she will ever amount to anything, to recognizing her potential and going with it. The story was a bit predictable in that I knew from when they landed their ship and found a forest instead of military base that the "war" was somehow fake. The best part of the book was actually the last few chapters when things where in full motion and the truth was finally discovered. I would recommend this as a great for tweens and reluctant readers as it is short and filled with lots of action packed scenes. It was a nice change to see a story focus on the action rather than a 'budding romance' between kids.

View all my reviews

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Bravo! I liked your review! Straight, to the point, your likes and dislikes. Wish more reader reviews were like yours!

Anonymous said...

I hear you on the action>budding romance thing. It seems like every single thing geared towards teens (girls, at least) in focused on romance, which gets a little tiring.

Oh! I thought this author sounded familiar. Turns out she wrote Just Ella, which was one of my favorites growing up. Maybe I'll check this out.

Cali W. said...

Thanks for the review this book looks interesting!

Shane R. said...

It's good to know that the story doesn't focus completely on a romance. It's sounds like a nice change of pace.

throuthehaze said...

The story sounds really interesting despite being predictable. Great review!

Mary Preston said...

This is the first I've heard of this. I loved your remark about the story resembling a Star Trek episode.

I enjoy a easy read at times

Your review was very helpful thank you.

Unknown said...

Never heard of this book before. I don't mind predictable books as long as it's not about romance entirely so this sci-fi novel might be an enjoyable read for me. :D

Meghan said...

Love the cover of this book! Hope I get to read it sometime!

celina k said...

Not really my kind of book, but thank you for the review so that I knew that before buying it!

Shan said...

I have read most of her books and enjoyed the Shadow Children series along with the current Missing series. I first read her when I grabbed one of the kids books here at home one day and then read the Shadow Children series that day. Thanks so much for the review.

CindyWindy2003 said...

thanks for your honest review, i like sci fi and fantasy but i'm not sure if this would be one i would be interested in, carawling(at)hotmail(Dot)com

Cassandra! :D said...

I love Margaret Peterson haddix! :)

Thanks for a great (and truthful) review.

Abinormyl said...

Thank you for such an honest review. This doesn't sound like a book I would be interested in from your review and now I won't have to bother reading it.

Melissa

abinormyl AT gmail DOT com -

Unknown said...

The book sounds intriguing. Great review!

michedt said...

Thank you for the review. It sounds like a book my husband would read. I'm really not one to read things outside my "comfort zone"...which normally includes some type of romance. Passing along the info though! Thanks.
Michelle Tucker


Member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators