Navigation Control Center


You are now entering the world of my thoughts.

This blog is my diary of works in progress. The only way a writer can improve upon her skill is to practice, practice and practice some more. Here, in this place of quiet peace, I pen to paper my thoughts and creativity. Welcome to my world.

Copyright © 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 SN Taylor, All Rights Reserved

Friday, June 1, 2012

Perfect Picture Book Friday: Too Young for Yiddish


Title: Too Young for Yiddish

Author: Richard Michelson

Illustrator: Neil Waldman

Publisher: Charlesbridge Publishing; February 1, 2002

Suitable for:  6 and up

Themes/Topics: People & Cultures: Jews, Language: Yiddish, Grandfather & Grandsons, Preserving heritage and language,

Opening:
All afternoon, Aaron helped carry-or shlep, as his grandpa, Zayde, called it-boxes of books up the apartment-house staris.

Book Summary:
When Aaron is a small boy, his Grandpa, or Zayde, does not teach him Yiddish, but when Aaron becomes an adult he longs to learn the language and history of the Old Country from Zayde and his many books.

Links to resources:
The author provides a brief history of the Yiddish language and a glossary of words at the end of the book. These words can be turned into word searches, flash cards and more.

Why I like this book:
This is a great book that teaches the importance of preserving languages and cultures. I find many young people these days (myself included) do not speak their mother or father tongue (my dad’s language being Amharic). For whatever reason many parents and grandparents have for not passing on their history and language, I think in the end it does the youth a dis-service not knowing their past and the rich heritage, history, traditions and respect that comes with knowing the language of the “Old Country” whether that country is in Africa, Asia or Europe. Language is a part of knowing who you are and where you come from. I am happy that in the end, Aaron sees the importance and chooses to teach his son Yiddish while he is still young. While this book is in English, it is unique in its representation of the Yiddish language. It is bounded back to front the same way Yiddish books are printed. While it was not an uncommon experience for me, as the Qur’an, the Muslim’s holy book, is printed the same way, it was fun to read an English book printed in that format. 

9 comments:

Joanna said...

I wholly agree about the importance of passing on language and culture, which are so intricately intwined, to a younger generation. There is often resistance from one or other of the generations. Thank you for introducing me to a book that sounds like it does a very unique job of passing on this value.

Julie Rowan-Zoch said...

Love the title, even though I can't agree. What would my childhood near NYC have been like if I couldn't have appreciated a mensch? Oy vey!

Amy D said...

Wow, this one sounds fascinating. I love exposing my kids to all kinds of different cultures and traditions, so this would be a great one to read to them. Thanks for the recommendation!

Kirsten Larson said...

What a wonderful book recommendation, Saba. It sounds like it really immerses children in Jewish culture.

Stacy S. Jensen said...

It is sad how generations will skip some traditions. Thanks for putting this book on my radar.

Vivian Kirkfield said...

Great book, Saba! I grew up in NYC and, although I don't consider myself a "city girl", I'm happy I had that original exposure to EVERYONE! I think it opens your eyes...and hopefully your mind and heart...to the fact that EVERYONE is a human being and deserves love and respect.:)
I love books that help children learn about different cultures and people...perhaps if we start when they are very little, we can instill tolerance and acceptance...of course, we have to practice it ourselves. ;):)

Ms Saba (aka Teacher007.5) said...

So true Vivian, so true!!

Ms Saba (aka Teacher007.5) said...

You are welcome Stacy! :)

Heather said...

I love that this brings the culture to life. It's so important to hold onto those things!


Member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators