Navigation Control Center


You are now entering the world of my thoughts.

This blog is my diary of works in progress. The only way a writer can improve upon her skill is to practice, practice and practice some more. Here, in this place of quiet peace, I pen to paper my thoughts and creativity. Welcome to my world.

Copyright © 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 SN Taylor, All Rights Reserved

Monday, October 22, 2012

Monday Muse: Lay vs Lie


Is it just me or does anyone else ever get a little nervous when having to write the word lay vs lie? I usually don't think twice when I'm on the computer because of word check that picks up the grammar mistakes for me. It's when I'm writing for others, like the daily notes I send home to families about their children's day, that I kinda get nervous. The first thing I do is try to remember the rules, is it lay or lie. Is it laid or lie or lay .... and you get my point. I often just reword it so that I don't have to use that verb.

*Sigh*

Well, folks, I'm done. I am going to get this if it is the last thing I do! You know what they say, practice makes perfect! But until then, here is a simple chart with the two verbs in their different forms. :)



3 comments:

Karen Strong said...

Ha, ha. I was just literally struggling with this last night during a proofread of a scene. This ALWAYS stumps me.

Thanks for the visual. May need to print this one out. :)

Heather said...

I'm copying this handy chart because I have a HUGE issues with this! It's one of those things that just hasn't stuck in my brain yet. Thank you!

Nicole said...

The lady who runs my local writing studio always talked about this one, too. Thanks for the refresher!


Member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators